Thursday, March 04, 2004

"Whap" Up Side the Head!

OK, today I realized (again!) that the whole reason I'm doing this bike ride is to raise money to find a cure for multiple sclerosis. This brilliant realization came to me as I was signing up on-line for the Continental Airlines Cycling Classic in Montgomery County on March 13th. Should be a good practice run for the hills of central Texas. Anyway, I need to quit whining (see below) and get on with it. After all, I can ride a bike!

In that vein, I bought a pack that goes on back of my bike so that I can carry all that biking stuff that I'll need--tools, pump (when I get a good hand pump), innertubes, rain gear, food, water, etc. Didn't get the knobbies replaced with slicks yet, that'll have to wait until next week. Also got a Saris Bones three-bike trunk rack for my Honda Accord. Have yet to try it out, but this weekend's Gator Ride in Baytown (home of the Presbyterian Church I grew up in) will be the perfect opportunity. As I thought about that ride yesterday, I feel a little worry begin to creep in again, as in "can I go that far?" and "will I fall over and knock someone down?" (not as worried about that one as I was on the first ride), and "do I really want to get up at 5:00 or 5:30 a.m. on Saturday morning to drive an hour in my car to Baytown and ride 45 miles on an uncomfortable bike just to prepare for getting up at 5:00 or 5:30 a.m. on a bunch of other Saturdays and/or Sundays so that I can ride my bike a lot further and get a lot more sore?" And that's where the whining came in.

So, STOP IT!

Thanks, I needed that.

Gatoring,
Dustin