Monday, December 22, 2003

Spinnin' Class

What happened next to point me in this direction? God's plan unfolds in interesting ways. I've done aerobics at 6:00 a.m. weekday mornings since we lived in Wichita. I started going to the Wichita Racquet Club (now a Genesis Health Club), where I joined a group of 6 am'ers who had all moved over from another club. Everyone knew everyone else, and they accepted me quickly as I moved up from the back of the class to the front. That was a great experience. No one worried if your hair was fluffy or your outfit wasn't perfectly matched because everyone was in the same shape. There is a special type of bonding that happens in a place like that. We had great instructors. Our double step class was so "with it" that we all shared the second step with the next person. Our step classes ended up looking like a chorus line of the Radio City Rockettes, only in exercise regalia.

When we moved to Houston in 1997, about 8 months later I started going to 6 a.m. classes at the Q Club, now a 24 Hour Fitness. I really enjoyed the energy put forth by one instructor, Kris. Her classes were my favorite and often the only reason I could get out of bed at 5:00 a.m. in the morning was the knowledge that Kris would be leading the class. I knew I would feel better if I went. At first she taught on both Monday and Wednesday mornings. Then she cut back to Monday mornings due to her other job. So I was disappointed in August when Chris could no longer teach due to circumstances beyond her control.

I had done spinning at the Racquet Club. I had found that my heart rate soared after about 10 minutes, and that's about as long as I could manage. But with nothing else to do on Monday morning, I decided I should try spinning class at 24 Hour Fitness.

Rotating,
Dustin